Support and Funding for Specialists
PITO recognizes that specialists have specific requirements with regard to EMR set-up and use. Specialists are not restricted to choosing one of the four qualified EMR systems that other physicians are required to use in order to be eligible for funding.
The Alternative Specialist Funding Program allows specialists to select the EMR system, hardware and network solutions of their choice, as long as the EMR system chosen is hosted by an application service provider.
PITO provides several mechanisms that serve the various requirements of different specialties (e.g. surgical, medical consultant, pediatrics, psychiatry and ophthalmology) and also of types of practice setting (e.g. community-based practice or hospital-based ambulatory practice). Details are provided for each of the following mechanisms:
- Alternative Specialist Funding Program
- Communities of practice (geographic)
- Communities of practice (specialty-specific)
- Hospital/health authority interfacing (see Interoperability)
- e-Referrals (see Interoperability)
- Unique integration and documentation requirements (see below)
For further details please call your local Relationship Manager.
To apply for PITO funding and support, please use our online application form.